Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Zealand

New Zealand is a country where I would really like to go. I don’t know why but I have been fascinated by this country since I was a kid. May be because this is so far away from France… I have a plan to go there in 2011 for the Rugby World Cup (I know, I know, I sound obsessed by rugby.. but I’m not, well not completely.). This is just a dream for the moment. Four years from now, this is far away. A lot of things may happen in he mean time.This introduction just to explain you how happy I am when I get a cover from New Zealand. And even more when it was not expected because the cover I’m showing you today comes from a contact who normally leaves in the USA ! He spent few days of holidays in new Zealand and had the nice idea to send me a cover. So here is the scan.

A very simple cover, but rather nice. A very clear and clean postmark from Wanganui , that makes me jealous when I see how dirty are the postmarks we usually get in France !
The two circular stamps belong to a set that I already mentioned
here and picture endemic animal from New Zealand. The two stamps on the cover picture a Yellow-eyed penguin (Megadyptes antipodes) and a tuatara, a very strange animal that looks like a lizard but that relates both to lizards and snakes (this is a very strange animal, there is so much to say about it that, if you are interested, I invite you to check the article on Wikipedia).
The third stamp belongs to a set of seven definitive stamps issued on the 9th of May 2007 and picturing various sceneries of New Zealand. This one picture the area called Whakarewarewa, a geothermal area full of geysers. According to a Maori legend, this is the place where the goddesses of fire (Te Pupa and Te Huatu) emerge from the earth’s core inhaling and exhaling, and then creating geysers.I did not resist to the idea of showing you the full set of definitive stamps that I find rather attractive. Here is it. Nice isn’t it ?






No comments: