Thursday, August 16, 2007

Away to Marseille

Just a short post to tell you that I will leave tomorrow (early in the morning) for a three days weekend to Marseille, a city located on the South coast of France. I’m going there for rugby. Last weekend the French team has won against the English team in London, and on Saturday this is the revenge, that will be held in Marseille. I hope we will win once again, this would be a very good sign in this time of preparation of the Rugby World Cup that will start on the 7th of September in Paris.Marseille has been pictured on several French stamps. To illustrate this post I have selected a recent one that I really like.

It has been issued in 2002 for the 75th congress of the French federation of the philatelic associations. This congress, that is held every year, was held in Marseille between the 17th and the 20th of May.
The stamp pictures a part of a very nice area of Marseille : le vieux port (i.e. the old harbour). On the stamp you can see St Jean’s fort (le fort Saint Jean) and the cathedral Sainte-Marie-Majeure (on the left side of the stamp), the entry of the harbour being on the right side of the stamp. This is an area where you can find me, tomorrow afternoon, because I’ll for sure have a walk there, as I always do when I go to Marseille.


No comments: