Thursday, June 21, 2007

Water birds and… a frog

I have the opportunity to receive stamps from all over the world. Usually I get stamps about fauna and flora since these are my favourite topics. And sometimes I get good surprise.I recently received this nice set of stamps.

(click on the picture to zoom)
This et of five stamps was issued on the 18th of August 1976 by USSR. This is a set about nature reserves and water birds. From left to right the birds that are pictured are :
- Cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis)
- Black-throated diver (Gavia artica)
- Common coot (Fulica atra)
- Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica)
- Slender-billed gull (Larus genei)
But if you look closer to the left stamp, the one with the egret, what can you see in the beak of the bird ? A frog ! Here is a zoom on it.


So this stamp has its place in my frog stamp collection ! I was looking for it since a long time now and I was not able to get it, for any reason. And now I got it by accident, through simple stamp exchange. Cool no ?

No comments: