Friday, June 29, 2007

Eric XIV, King of Sweden

This has been a long time since last time I wrote about my collection of stamps about famous Eric. For those who don’t know, I have started a few months ago, a collection of stamps picturing people named Eric (or Erik, Erick or Erich), or picturing items related in any manner to somebody named Eric. I made recently some significant progress in my collection.
In a previous I have already shown a stamp from Sweden related to Eric XIV, King of Sweden that pictures a letter he wrote to Queen Elizabeth I when attempting to marry her !

This king has been the subject of other stamps from Sweden. On the 20th of October 1971, the Swedish post has issued a set of five stamps picturing Swedish Crown regalia. Three of those five stamps are related to Eric XIV.First a stamp picturing his orb.

In 1561 Eric XIV ordered that the orb created for his coronation should be engraved as a terrestrial globe. The orb was cast and jewelled by Cornelius ver Weiden, a Flemish goldsmith who had lived in Stockholm since 1551. Franz Beijer, an engraver from Antwerp, produced the engraving. Then the crown.


The crown was also cast and jewelled by Cornelius ver Weiden.
And finally the sceptre.
As you notice, one of the side of the stamps is not perforated, as very often for stamps from Sweden that are part of a booklet pane.

If you want to know more about the life of Eric XIV I invite you to check his biography at :
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmonarchs/eric14/eric14_bio.htm

I guess you will not be surprised if I tell you that the country that has issued the highest numbers of stamps related to somebody called Eric is Sweden, with almost twenty stamps !




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog. I too have a stamp blog. http://stamp-gallery.blogspot.com Can we do a link exchange. I have already added ur blog link to mine.