Thursday, May 03, 2007

Chinese gardens

I have recently received this really nice FDC from my Chinese philatelic pen pal and I decided to share it with you.

(click on the picture to zoom)
The three stamps located on the right side have been issued on the 8th of April 2007 to celebrate the Yangzhou gardens. Yangzhou is a city of the Jiangsu province. The three stamps picture three famous gardens located in this city : (clock wise) He garden, Ge garden, Xu garden.

I could not find much information on the first and the last one, but I could find out that Ge garden was built during the reign of the emperors Jiaquing (1796-1820) and Daoguang (1821-1850) of the Qing dynasty and covers around two hectares. It takes its name from the fact that it contains a lot of bamboos, and the bamboo looks like the Chinese character “ge”. A rather nice FDC don’t you think so ? And it arrived in good condition.

No comments: