Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Zazzle stamps

I have read a lot about Zazzle stamps, the stamps that you can design on line at http://www.zazzle.com and that can be used on mail from the USA. I know that there are a lot of Pro’s and Con’s about them. In fact they are an elaborate type of personalised stamps.
So far I had never seen any on cover. Until last week, when I got this letter.

(click on the picture to zoom)
It comes from the ISWSC, the International society of worldwide stamp collectors, a philatelic association that I belong to. On the cover you can see two “Zazzle” stamps. The one on the left pictures the logo of the ISWSC. I think this is a rather nice way of promoting a philatelic association. The second one is made of a holiday picture from the sender of the letter. It gives rather nice result (the cover is a bit torn at the top because I had difficulties to open it, but the stamps are intact). Just for the fun, I have played a bit on Zazzle’s web site to create my own stamps using my picture. Here is the result. Don’t worry, I did it for fun, I’m not going to use my face on cover ;-)


In France, you can only customize a label that is attached to the stamp, not the stamp it self. You can do it with some special stamps and also with some definitive ones. Here is an example of what it gives with the Marianne.


I have a problem with personalized stamps. Should they be collected ? Knowing that the possibilities are almost infinite, does it make sense ? Isn’t it opposite to the spirit of collection itself ?


4 comments:

Bob Stanlick said...

"I have a problem with personalized stamps. Should they be collected ? Knowing that the possibilities are almost infinite, does it make sense ? Isn’t it opposite to the spirit of collection itself ?"

An interesting question Eric. I guess one can collect only personalized stamps that they themselves have created. Does this make them scarce and therefore valuable? I don't see the collection of personalized stamps as catching on. Who would ever be able to collect them all? I look at them as cinderellas and not worth collecting although some of them have a very nice design.
I personally have not created any of these stamps even though Canada Post does allow it. Maybe I should make some with my company logo? It would be a great way to promote myself.

Anonymous said...

si je ne me trompe, le tarif est de 84 cts pour la france ?

chickenstampy6669 said...

Good question,like a virus some things comes at the same time on different places... I started a discussion on March 26 in a Dutch group Filadorado about the value of personal stamps. I did create personal silkystamps, 20 pcs in a value of € 0,39, last years rate for 20gr local mail. Must have a high value, do you know ww figures for that amount of stamps???
As Bob says, you can't collect them all, but with other themes ou countries thats also difficult to do.
Do sell one stamp now on Ebay, see what happens.
Cees

Rein said...

There is no need to collect them all; there is no sense in doing so... But on the other hand if you see how many people are ordering personal stamps for themselves in Austria and are subsequently selling or trading them for other people's stamps, I would say it's a very interesting field and certainly not doomed!