Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Postal stationery from Romania

As you know I collect all stamps picturing a frog or including a frog in their design. But I also collect postmarks and postal stationery. I recently purchased this one from Romania.

This envelop was issued in 2006. As you see the right part pictures a pottery on which you can find two snakes and a frog. It seems this is a type of traditional pottery that are made at the occasion of a wedding. I could not find much information about this sort of pottery, if you have some I would be happy to hear from you.
The theme of Romanian pottery was the theme of a set of stamps issued in 2005 and 2006 by Romanian post. If I’m not wrong, the pottery pictured on the envelop is also pictured on a stamp. I think I saw it once somewhere in a philatelic newspaper. But I could not find it back and I did not find a way to purchase it for my collection. Again if you have some information, you are welcome.What is interesting also in this envelop is that the “stamp” is not a copy of a real stamp, but just a simple drawing of a stamp silhouette. In France postal stationery (that we call PAP for Prèt à poster – Ready to post) are “stamped” with a copy of a real stamp, printed directly on the paper.


No comments: