Friday, March 02, 2007

Nice landscape… and a new blog

At last, this is the end of the week. It was very busy again, and full of difficulties. Yesterday, when going back to home from work, I was stuck in the traffic jam and I was thinking of what I would show today on my blog. Then I thought also about a recent talk I had with a colleague who’s going to spend few days in Iceland. I have always dreamed of visiting Iceland. Don’t know why. So I decided that I would check my stamps to see if I had any nice stamp showing Iceland’s landscapes. And I found this souvenir sheet.
(click on the picture to zoom)


It was issued on the 9th of October 2001 for the day of the stamp. It pictures the Esja mountain. This mountain towers Reykjavik at the height of 914m. It was created 2.8 million years ago by volcanic eruption. This is also a popular activity area.
I think it gives a very nice landscape. The scan is not so good, but the stamp looks really great in reality. (I don’t know why but some stamps are rather difficult to scan). The souvenir sheet is quite small, which means that it is easy to use on a cover, even without removing the stamp. I think this is a good idea, it is better than those huge souvenir sheets that we have in France, bearing 10 stamps that you hardly see on covers because nobody wants to tear the sheets off to extract the stamps.

Before finishing, I’d like to announce a new comer if the philatelic blogosphere. Sebastien. He has started a philatelic blog, both in French (
http://sebphilatelie.blogspot.com) and in English (http://sebphilately.blogspot.com). Check it, it is very well done. The list of philatelic blogs starts to be interesting…

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hey, we have something else in common. I'm not sure exactly sure why I would also like to visit Iceland. Maybe it's because we don't often see it on the news. And it's rare that we hear of any friends, families, and colleagues who have an interest in visiting that destination. Stamp collecting has opened me up to places like Iceland, Greenland, and the Falkland Islands. I have been fortunate enough to recently tour St. Pierre & Miquelon. A lot of people asked me how I knew about the French colony. My answer: "stamp collecting, of course."