Thursday, February 15, 2007

Erich Mayer, painter

It has been a long time since last time I found a new stamp for my collection on “famous Eric on stamps”. So I was very happy when, last weekend, I got a letter from South Africa, containing several souvenir sheets including this one.


Ok, it does not actually picture a famous Eric, but it celebrates the work of Erich Mayer, so it fits into my collection.
The souvenir sheet has been issued on the 20th of April 1976 to commemorate the 100h anniversary of his birth. Erich Mayer (1876 – 1960) was a German painter who spent a part of his life in South Africa. It seems he is well known for his paintings of baobab. He has given his name to a park, Erich Mayer park. I could not find much information about him, so if you know something you are welcome.
The souvenir sheet contains four stamps, representing four paintings from Mayer. From left to right and top to bottom we can see :
- Picnic under Baobab tree
- Wagons at foot of Blauberg, Transvaal
- Harbeessport Dam near Pretoria
- Street in Doornfontain
Between the two rows of stamps, the signature of the painter is represented.

No comments: