Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Birds from Ukraine

I haven’t much time to write today, a very busy working day is in front of me. Anyway, yesterday I was sorting some stamps that I have received last week and I realized that, interestingly, two of the birds that are pictured on the souvenir sheet from Moldova of yesterday, are also pictured on this souvenir sheet from Ukraine. What a coincidence.


This souvenir sheet has been issued on the 26th of October 2004 and is entitled Danube’s reserve. The mute swan and the great white egret that are on the Moldavian stamp sheet are also on this one. Additionally the souvenir sheet pictures a pygmy cormorant (Phalacrocorax pygmaeus), a greylag goose (Anser anser, also known as the wild goose) and a common spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia).
I like that the sort of “diamond” shape of the stamps (well actually they are square, but their orientation give them a diamond look). I wonder if they have been seen very often on a mail…

No comments: