Thursday, January 18, 2007

Frogs on definitive stamps

Following my post of yesterday, I have checked my collection of frog stamps and I was quite surprised to see that several countries have actually issued definitive stamps picturing frogs. A first quick check gave me : Australia, Aruba, Solomon islands, Sweden, New Zealand…
To illustrate the post of today I have chosen some from Australia.

In general, Australia has issued a lot of stamps picturing frogs. I think this is the most represented country in my collection ! It could be understood because there are around 200 species of frogs and toads that live in Australia, and some of them can be found only there.
The three stamps that I show here belong to the definitive set of 1982/1983. This definitive set contains stamps picturing various reptiles and amphibians. The 3c and 27c stamps have been issued on the 19th of April 1982 (they have been re-issued in 1984 with a different perforation) and the 70c has been issued on the 2nd of February 1983.

The 3c stamp pictures a Corroboree frog (Pseudophryne corroboree). This is a frog which is very easy to identify. It gets its name from the bright yellow and black strips that look like the body painting used in some Aboriginal ceremonial dances, also called corroborees. This frog lives in the Snowy Mountains at altitudes above 1000 metres. Sadly, this frog has recently suffered a serious decline in numbers.

The 27c picture a Blue mountain tree frog (Litoria citropa), a very handsome frog that lives in the Blue mountains, west of Sydney (a nice place that I had the chance to visit in 2003).
The 70c pictures a Crucifix toad (Notaden bennetii) which is known also as the Holy Cross toad because of the design of its back that looks like a jewelled cross. The Crucifix toad is actually a frog and not a toad. The only true toad that lives in Australia is the Crane toad (Bufo marinus) which is pictured in several stamps but none from Australia.

No comments: