Thursday, January 04, 2007

Endangered birds from India, and more…

You probably know now, that I’m always interested in nice stamps picturing fauna or even flora, even though my main collection is about frog on stamps. Through stamps exchange with one of my philatelic contacts (reader of my blog by the way ;-) ) I received recently this very colorful souvenir sheet from India, and I decided to share it with you.



This souvenir sheet has been issued in 2006 (sorry, I could not find the exact date of issue) and pictures some endangered birds from India. The stamps have also been issued separately, they are printed in strip of four “se tenant”. The birds pictured on the stamps are, from left to right and top to bottom :

The Greater adjutant stork (Leptoptilus dubius). This is the rarest stork in the world. It got its name from the similarity with the military adjutant, because it can stand motionless for hours.

The Nilgiri laughingthrush (Ganulas cachinnans)

The Manipur bush-quail (Perdicula manipurensis)

The Lesser florican (Synpheotides indica)

All those birds can be found in India and Southeastern Asia and are highly endangered.

The cover used by my contact to send them is also interesting. I’m particulary interested in the stamps on the right top corner because they belong to a joint issue between India and Mongolia. As the stamps from India and Mogolia have the same design but have been issued at different time this is a concerted issue (see http://my-philately.blogspot.com/2006/12/joint-issues.html). The stamps from India have been issued on the 11th of September 2006 and the ones from Mongolia have been issued on the 28th of September 2006.


The left stamp pictures an Indian god. The right stamp pictures a horse from the Bronze Age and found in Mongolia.

No comments: