Thursday, January 25, 2007

Bats from Romania

As I have the opportunity to travel to Romania, from time to time, for professional reasons, I always keep an interested eye on the stamps issued by this country. Unfortunately, I often have the feeling that Romania has kept some bad habits inherited from the past, and issues too many topical stamp sets. This was my feeling when I saw (and received from a friend) this souvenir sheet.



Impressive, isn’t it ? For interested people the bats that are represented are (from top to bottom and left to right) :
- The Greater Mouse-eared Bat (Myotis myotis)
- The Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros)
- The Brown Long-eared Bat (Plecotus auritus)
- The Common Pipistrelle Pipistrellus pipistrellus
- The Greater Noctule bat (Nyctalus lasiopterus)
- The Barbastelle Bat (Barbastella barbastellus)
I do not like bats. I remember that when I was in Sydney in 2003, there was this tree in the Botanic garden, full of bats. As it was in the middle of the day they were sleeping, but I was afraid to walk under the tree…
When I saw this souvenir sheet, I thought that there was a low probability to see these stamps on a cover. And I was wrong ! Few days ago I received this registered cover from Romania.




Yes the full sheet is used on the cover. It is a pity that the postal clerk has stuck the registration label on the corner of the sheet. But I guess that examples of this souvenir sheet used on cover must not be so common…

1 comment:

Julio Silvio de Souza Bueno said...

I am one collector of bats stamps and I am interested in romanians stamps of bats. Please write to me