Thursday, November 30, 2006

Souvenir sheet from Malaysia

I just realized that I haven’t shown a frog stamp on my blog since weeks… I’m sure you miss it ;-) So here is my last acquisition for my frog stamps collection.

This is a souvenir sheet issued by Malaysia on the 9th of October this year, to commemorate the 2006 stamp week (in France we have a stamp day, here they have a stamp week, and I think in Australia there is the stamp collecting month…). The subject of this issue is semi-aquatic animals. The complete set contains also three single stamps that I also show below, just to be complete (this is not a scan of the stamps since I haven’t them, but a picture taken from Malaysian Post website). I think that it is funny to see how different is the design of the stamps compared to the one of stamp sheet.


The frog pictured on the left stamp of the sheet is a Polypedates leucomystax (!), a frog that can be found in Southern Asia. There are several common names for this frog, due to its highly variable look : you can find it under the name Golden tree frog, or Four-lined tree frog (because of the four dark lines it has on the back), or Asian flying frog, or Banana frog (!) or simply Asian tree frog. It is a rather small frog measuring 3-5cm (for the male) up to 5-7cm (for the female).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

I'm from Malaysia and I'm also into frog stamps. IIt would be nice if we could exchange stamps.

I've a website devoted to frog stamps at http://www.geocities.com/pasilla98/

For your information, Malaysian Postal Authority is issuing a set of frog stamps (3 stamps and 1 miniature sheet) on 3 May 2007.

best wishes,
Ian

rocoto98@yahoo.com