Tuesday, November 21, 2006

First stamp issues in 1966

Last week I discussed with a collector who has specialized his collection in “first issues”. He collects the first stamp issued by any country in the world. Interesting (but also very expensive I guess) collection. Then I was thinking to my collection of stamps of the year 1966 and this discussion triggered a question in my mind : are there any countries that issued their first stamp in 1966 ?
I spent some time over the weekend browsing my Scott catalog and also some various websites and I came to the conclusion that, at least three countries has issued their first stamp in 1966, the year of my birth.Botswana, the former Bechuanaland Protectorate, has reached independence the 30th of September 1966. A set of four stamps has been issued to commemorate this event. Here is the lowest face value, therefore the “number 1” of Botswana.


Guyana, the former Crown Colony of British Guiana, has become independent on the 26th of May 1966. A set of six stamps has been issued, re-using the stamps of the former colony, overprinted “GUYANA INDEPENDENCE 1966”.




Lesotho, the former Basutoland, has reached independence on the 4th of October 1966. Here is the fist stamp of the set of four issue at this occasion.







No comments: