Thursday, August 24, 2006

New issue from Ukraine

Few days ago, I have received this souvenir sheet from a reader of my blog from Ukraine (thanks a lot !). He sent it to me because there is a frog on it. Well, actually this is not a frog but a toad (do you know the difference between a frog and a toad ?).

This stamp sheet has been issued by Ukraine on the 14th of July 2006 in the series “Reserves and natural parks”. As far as I’m concerned I think the design is a little bit simplistic. But this is my first frog stamp from Ukraine, so I’m happy !
 
The toad pictured on the sheet is a Natterjack toad (Bufo calamita). This is a species that can be found in Eastern and Northern Europe. On the stamp we can see the physical specificities of this species : the yellow line on the back and the warts (the red spot) that are full of venom. The legs of the Natterjack toad are shorter than on other common toads which make it run rather than hop when it moves.

No comments: