Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Cover from Myanmar and other stuff

Last weekend I spent again some time sorting out all the covers I have accumulated during the last years and I found this one that I had almost forgotten. It is coming from a country from which I hardly get mails : Myanmar (also known as Burma). The cover has suffered a lot during the transport, but the stamps were not touched. The left stamp belongs to a set issued the 1st of September 1993 and pictures a golden bird. The one on the right has been issued the 28th of August 1998 and belongs to set about musical instruments. This one pictures a harp. The postmark is very basic, and not very readable.

I wanted also to share with you information about two internet resources that I find really useful for all my activities related to stamps. You may already know them, but just in case I think this is worth mentioning them.
The first one is the
Post Offices Pages from Graham Rhind . This is a simple web page which gives the list of almost all the Post Offices websites of the world. A lot of countries do have a website, and even more, a website in English. Some of them even propose on line shopping of stamps. This can be very useful.
The second one is
WADP Number System web site. The WNS (WADP number system) has been developed by Universal Postal Union (UPU) and the World Association for the Development of Philately (WADP). The objective is to create a database of authentic postage stamps in order to fight against the increasing number of bogus issues that we can find on the philatelic market. On this web site you will find basic information and excellent scan of new issues of almost all countries!

No comments: