Thursday, August 10, 2006

Birds from New Caledonia

For today, again a cover I received during my holidays. This one is coming from New Caledonia. This is again a first for me, I never received mail from there before. May be I should start to make a list of all places from where I got a cover… it starts to be an impressive list…
The stamps on this one are colorful birds stamps. They have been issued in June 2006 and picture three different species of endemic birds that have almost disappeared. It seems none of them has been observed during the 20th century ! From left to right you can see : a New Caledonian Rail (Gallirallus lafresnayanus), a New Caledonian Owlet-Nightjar (Aegotheles savesi) and a New Caledonian Lorikeet (Chamosyna diadema).
The postmark from Noumea is very clear, I’m impressed. A nice cover for birds stamps collectors, no ?

No comments: