Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Nudity on stamps !

I regularly read, in the philatelic newspapers, the section about new stamps issues. I’m always looking for any interesting new issue for my collection, or more generally any interesting new stuff. One week ago I was browsing a French newspaper when I came across this souvenir sheet. It has been issued by Netherlands on the 28th of April 2006 and belong to a set of souvenir sheets called “My Netherlands”. Each souvenir sheet of the set pictures a specific area of Netherlands. This one is dedicated to Vlieland.
My first impression when I saw the sheet is that it was not very beautiful. At list according to my taste. Then something tickled my mind. I was attracted by a detail on the very left bottom corner of the sheet. I had to take my magnifier and yes ! The two characters that are pictured on the left border are naked ! One woman and one man, pictured from the back. Click here to see a close up (don’t click if you are offended by nudity). As far as I’m concerned, I think this is the first occurrence of nudity on stamps. Ok this is not on stamps but on the border of a souvenir sheet, but still… I know, you will tell me that naked people already appeared on stamps, but this was only on stamps picturing a painting. I know no example of a stamp (or a souvenir sheet) picturing an actual picture of a naked person ! Do you know any ?

1 comment:

chickenstampy6669 said...

Hi Eric,

Yes it are nice Mini Sheets, with alway's 5 the same stamps on it. When we have had 10 different sheets, the Marketing of the Post give's (you can buy them !!!) another two sheets with 5 different stamps. Lets do this bussiness every year is the goal..
If you like this sheet, let me know..