Thursday, June 08, 2006

Prehistoric paintings

I’m thrilled ! I got my first comment on my blog ! (see previous post) Thank you very much Adrian. Following the suggestion of Adrian, I’m going to speak about a French stamp today. Here it is.


It has been issued the 29th of May 2006 and commemorates the 50th anniversary of the discover of the prehistoric cave of Rouffignac. It is located in what is called the Perigord noir (black Perigord) in the south west of France. Its cave contains prehistoric paintings that are more than 13000 years old. Around 270 different paintings can be found in this cave (mainly mammoth, bison, rhinoceros but also men). Those paintings are located on three different levels in galleries that are more than 10km long.

I have chosen this stamp, first because I like it. I have always been interested in archaeology. When I was young I wanted to be an archaeologist. In my wildest dreams I was Howard Carter discovering the tomb of Tuthankamon ! This is true that I was more into Ancient Egypt than into Prehistory. Later I realized that I would earn more money dealing with computers than digging ancient tombs. So I changed my plans. But still, I have participated to some archaeological digs in my youth.

But I chose this stamp mainly because this is the most recent stamp issued by “La Poste” and which is recess-printed. As Adrian says in his comment, France is still issuing stamps that are recess-printed. But unfortunately, less and less French stamps are printed in such a way. French philatelists complain a lot about the quality of stamps issued by the French post, and I know that some of them have even decided to stop collecting new issues. Recess-printing is not used so much anymore, compared to what was done in the past, or what is done in some other European countries such as Monaco, or Sweden I think. It’s a pity because recess-printing gives always very beautiful stamps…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I agree about the old ways of printing stamps as the best although my favorite has to be engraved stamps. I am from the United States so we have just had a couple new engraved stamps show up. I would like to congratulate you on the weblog and let you know I most definitely keep checking it as it is very nicely done. I hope it stays around for a while.
Warmest Regards,
William