Wednesday, June 28, 2006

General Post Office in Dublin

I have not much time to write these days due to a huge amount of work, but I wanted to drop some lines in my blog anyway. As I said in some previous posts, I have spent last weekend in Dublin. I had a wonderful time, the weather was good, except some rain on Saturday but not too much. I even found the opportunity to buy some stamps. I visited the General Post Office (GPO), located on O’Connel street, one of the main streets of Dublin. This is a very impressive building, as you can see on the stamp. A very nice place, where there is also a philatelic shop. I had a nice time enjoying the quietness of the GPO while the street outside was awfully busy with big amount of tourists…
The GPO is not only a nice place, but it has played an important role in the history of Ireland. On Easter Monday of 1916 around 2.000 men have seized control of the GPO and some other strategic points in Dublin, in order to proclaim the political independence from Britain and the creation of an Irish republic. This was the start of a succession of events that would lead to the establishment on the Irish free state in 1921. The stamp commemorates the 90th anniversary of what is called the “Easter rising” and pictures the front of the GPO as it stands today, newly restored.

No comments: